Gillard Strident and Negative – ABC News
No, Julia Gillard being strident and negative is not news. What is news is that an ABC correspondent says she is.
Even Julia seems to be admitting that she is now running a wholly negative campaign. She has to, you know, because things are tough.
John Styles at Australian Conservative nails the Labor strategy:
- Lies: simply assert something about your opponent’s policies, or costings, without any basis in fact
- Fake polling: Release “secret internal polling” in an effort to drive the media agenda
- “Friday dumps”: Untrue “news” stories dropped into marginal seats on the day before the poll
- Endless negativity: Claim you’re being positive but all you do is attack your opponent
- Scare campaigns: Make up things about your opponent and his policies
- Personal attacks: Relentlessly repeat that your opponent is a “risk”
This may work with some of the people, some of the time (hmm.. that sounds familiar).
But my suspicion is that people have had enough, and this latest bout of ranting about how horrible Tony Abbott is, and he will bring back Work Choices, and reduce the number of doctors, and ruin the environment, and goodness knows what other dreadful things he is planning because you can’t trust a word he says, will backfire.
Julia really does look and sound strident and negative and desperate. Maybe she’s beginning to wonder if people have realised she is the one who can’t be trusted, who is too big a risk.